{} } Eye-Able Logo
Zum Inhalt springen


Heidenheim remains an unhappy hunting ground for the Boys in Brown. In front of 12,000 fans at the Voith Arena, Jos Luhukay's side were beaten by the only goal of the game, scored by Norman Theuerkauf from a corner in the 59th minute.

Jos Luhukay sprang a surprise when he announced his starting lineup before kick-off. With several of his players reporting in less than 100 per cent fit, the St. Pauli boss capitalised on the depth of his squad to make eight changes to the side that faced Darmstadt last week. Youba Diarra, Boris Tashchy, Christopher Buchtmann and Luca Zander all made their first starts of the season. Tactically, the Boys in Brown began with a back three and two up front in the shape of Viktor Gyökeres and Tashchy.

Both teams showed the utmost respect for each other in a cautious start to the proceedings. St. Pauli pressed the home side at every opportunity but lacked tempo whenever they had possession, which also found its expression in front of goal. Though the Boys in Brown had the edge in terms of chances created, they lacked punch in the box, with neither Matt Penney, twice, Tashchy nor Møller Dæhli able to trouble Kevin Müller in the Heidenheim goal. At the back, Jos Luhukay's team gave hardly anything away, with the home side mustering just two shots on goal through Marnon Busch and Niklas Dorsch. Both attempts flew well wide of the target in a half in which Robin Himmelmann was largely reduced to the role of spectator. 

Christopher Buchtmann was forced to go off in the 33rd minute after picking up an injury in a block tackle by Heidenheim's Marnon Busch. Hope to see you back soon, Buchti!

Christopher Buchtmann was forced to go off in the 33rd minute after picking up an injury in a block tackle by Heidenheim's Marnon Busch. Hope to see you back soon, Buchti!

Both teams pushed forward with more urgency after the restart. The first clear-cut opportunity fell to Gyökeres, who with just Müller to beat slid the ball the wrong side of the post after a wonderful ball from Zander. At the other end, Maurice Multhaup volleyed a Norman Theuerkauf cross well wide from close range on 55. The home fans had cause to celebrate four minutes later, however, when Theuerkauf escaped the attentions of Penney to sweep home a low Marc Schnatterer cross from ten metres, a move straight from the training ground.

Luhukay responded by introducing the pace of Ryo Miyaichi and Christian Conteh and switching to back four instead of a back five whenever Heidenheim were in possession. The changes almost paid off immediately. Finn Ole Becker saw a left-foot drive from a narrow angle pushed away by Müller, only for Tashchy to blaze the rebound over the crossbar. Then, some neat combination play carved out a chance for Møller Dæhli to shoot, but his effort was blocked. With the Boys in Brown pushing forward in search of an equaliser, Heidenheim had more space in which to operate and began to threaten on the counter. Luhukay's charges continued to press but lacked the necessary fortune in front of goal. Møller Dæhli had a free-kick deflected for a corner, from which Diarra headed the ball wide, and that was that. For the sixth time in succession, the Boys in Brown travelled home empty-handed from Heidenheim. 

FC Heidenheim

Müller – Busch, Mainka, Hüsing, Theuerkauf – Dorsch – Schnatterer (Biankadi 68'), Multhaup – Griesbeck – Kleindienst (Schimmer 80'), Otto (Leipertz 90')

Head coach: Frank Schmidt


FC St. Pauli

Himmelmann – Kalla (Miyaichi 65'), Østigård, Buballa – Zander, Diarra, Møller Dæhli, Penney – Buchtmann (Becker 33') – Gyökeres (Conteh 65'), Tashchy

Head coach: Jos Luhukay


Goal: 1-0 Theuerkauf (59')

Yellow cards: Diarra, Tashchy

Referee: Dr Martin Thomsen

Attendance: 12,000


Photos: Witters