Eye-Able Logo
Zum Inhalt springen


The Boys in Brown secured a 2-2 draw against Hamburger SV in the first derby of the 2020/21 season at the Volksparkstadion on Friday evening. After Simon Terodde had given the home side an early lead, Rodrigo Zalazar and Simon Makienok turned the game around for the Boys in Brown. But the home side recovered to level the scores in front of just 1,000 spectators. Again it was Terodde on target to ensure the game ended all square.

This was no ordinary derby at the Volkspark. No meeting point before the game, no derby march and no packed away section. COVID-19 restrictions meant that only 1,000 spectators were allowed inside the ground. For the Boys in Brown, it was all about putting the circumstances to one side and building on last season's double over their cross-city rivals. Head coach Timo Schultz fielded almost an unchanged side following the 2-2 draw at Darmstadt last Saturday. The only change was the inclusion of Rico Benatelli for Philipp Ziereis, Marvin Knoll dropping back into defence in place of the latter.

The first ten minutes belonged to the Boys in Brown. Simon Makienok was presented with two promising chances in the opening stages, but the striker was unable to finish either with his head from a Luca Zander cross or with his foot after being teed up by Rodrigo Zalazar. Then it was HSV's turn. And with their first attempt on Robin Himmelmann's goal they went ahead, Simon Terodde heading home a Josha Vagnoman cross.

The home side seized the initiative and had more of the ball and the game. And the Boys in Brown enjoyed a stroke of good fortune in the 18th minute when Terodde headed against the post. Timo Schultz’s side needed some time to recover from the shock of going behind, but in the 22nd minute Finn Ole Becker pulled the trigger from the inside-left channel. His attempt was deflected for a corner, however, which produced nothing of note.

A Zalazar shot in the 35th minute proved far more productive. Zander delivered a ball in to Makienok, and the striker did exactly what he was brought in for. He brought the ball under control and showed good vision to put the ball on a plate for the onrushing Zalazar. The midfielder went for broke and rifled a shot into the far corner to level the scores.

HSV sought to up the pace again after the equaliser, without any tangible effect, leaving the two sides to go in level at 1-1 after a gripping 45 minutes of action, a scoreline that was a fair reflection of the proceedings to that point.

Both sides emerged unchanged for the second period. Just three minutes in, the alarm bells were ringing again in front of Robin Himmelmann's goal when Tim Leibold tried his luck from range after a corner was half-cleared. His shot was going wide by some distance until a HSV teammate got a toe-end on the ball to direct it back into the danger zone. Fortunately, it flew past the post by a whisker. Then, in the 53rd minute, it was the home side who were left breathing a sigh of relief when Becker let fly from just outside the penalty area. Sven Ulreich saw it coming, however, and pushed the ball to the side. A good response from the Boys in Brown.

The ensuing period saw the home side take control again. The Boys in Brown focused on defence and were kept very busy in the face of increasing pressure from Daniel Thioune's side. Terodde had a go from the inside-right channel, but the ball zipped past the left-hand upright. Then, as the game entered the final 20 minutes, both teams took a breather, ensuring goalscoring opportunities remained a rarity.

That was to change in the last ten minutes when the game suddenly exploded into life. A long upfield ball from substitute Christopher Avevor was flicked on by Kyereh to Makienok, who toe-ended the ball past Ulreich to give the Boys in Brown the lead. The joy was to prove short-lived, however, as HSV were level again within minutes. Another long ball found Terodde unmarked in front of Himmelmann and he produced a clinical finish to restore parity.

The Boys in Brown came close to regaining the lead just before the end, but substitute Leon Flach narrowly failed to make contact with the ball at the back post. There was to be no further action of note in the final minutes of a hard-fought derby, ensuring the game ended in a 2-2 draw.


Ulreich, Gyamerah, Heyer, Narey (Kinsombi 70'), Terodde, Hunt (Dudziak 70'), Wintzheimer (Kittel 70'), Leibold, Onana (Gjasula 87'), Vagnoman (Wood 78'), Ambrosius

Head coach: Daniel Thioune


FC St. Pauli

Himmelmann, Ohlsson, Knoll, Buballa, Zander (Lankford 74'), Becker (Lawrence 88' ), Benatelli, Dittgen (Daschner 70'), Zalazar (Avevor 70'), Makienok (Flach 87'), Kyereh

Head coach: Timo Schultz


Goals: 1-0 Terodde (11'), 1-1 Zalazar (36'), 1-2 Makienok (82'), 2-2 Terodde (84')

Yellow cards: Kittel - Dittgen

Referee: Manuel Gräfe (Berlin)

Attendance: 1,000


Photos: Witters